Welcome New Members - please read this!

Look here for information from the admins and moderators. Also, feel free to post here if you would like to see any improvements or changes to the site.
sbm12405
Site Admin

Welcome New Members - please read this!

Post by sbm12405 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:55 pm

This was originally posted by silverguy on MDJ. All this information rings true here as well. You are all welcome no matter what stage of this illness you are at. We are all here to support one another.
If you are reading this you are a new member to our group. We welcome you with open arms and strongly urge you to stay. What you are about to read isn't in any book, it is the truth about agoraphobia as told by those of us that have it.

Agoraphobics are afraid of telephones, doorbells,
knocks on the door, walking to the mailbox, grocery stores, driving on the highway, loud noises, rooms full of people, yelling and screaming, doctors and appointments, airports, post offices and malls. We have a fear of being alone, a fear of attending church, and fear of sitting in a dark movie theater. We stay in our houses because we are afraid to leave. We are afraid of a panic attack in a public place because it has happened before. We won't leave the bathrooms at home for fear of soiling ourselves when out. We hate public restrooms for the germs and embarrassment. You will never see us standing in a line for anything because waiting equals panic. Some here are claustrophobic, especially in their own shower or bathroom. We have three times as many women as men. Some get disability and others have spousal income. Maybe 2 or 3 of us work outside the home but most have financial problems. We experience pain and ridicule from close family members because we are so misunderstood. We are basically afraid of fear so we stay in our safe place. We immerge only when absolutely necessary. Our ages range from 17 to 64 and we have babies and grandbabies. Every day is a struggle to deal with the outside world. Most of us procrastinate 20 times a day in an effort to find a moments peace
in our minds. It is a safe assumption that one panic attack changed our lives forever.

All the scenarios I listed above are common with agoraphobia. You may have one or two or even three, or maybe I didn't even mention your personal dilemma. You may be depressed, a lot of us are, and we are on medication for it. We also take medication for anxiety. Pills are the norm when treating agoraphobia. Most of us couldn't get through a day without them.

You need to know we take this illness very seriously here and we also have realized we have a desperate need for social interaction. We like to laugh at times because if we don't we might just cry. A large number of us are overweight because we get no exercise. We watch a lot of television and spend hours on the computer. I think we are all in different stages of recovery. Some get a little better, have a panic attack, and go right back to square one, and some are almost ready to work again. But the one constant that runs through this group is that we have each other, any time of any day, we are there. We want you to be a part of this forum and we want to hear your story. You need to know you are not alone. We can help you so please stay with us. You will never regret it!
Sarah
Just when the caterpillar thought it's world was over it turned into a butterfly.....

I am not a doctor or other medical professional. If you are in need of medical care please contact emergency services or go to the nearest emergency room.
KittenMittens

Re: Welcome New Members - please read this!

Post by KittenMittens » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:32 pm

Hi Sarah.

Thank you for starting this group. This post from Silverguy (David) was what got me to take that chance and say 'hi'. As he stated, "we are all in different stages of recovery" but the one thing we have in common is understanding of the helplessness that we have all felt.

Cheryl
I desire to inspire before I expire
sbm12405
Site Admin

Post by sbm12405 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:35 pm

Cheryl,

Thank you. This post spoke to me as well which is why I wanted to include it on here. I do hope that silverguy eventually finds his way here.

Everyone - I want this to be a very welcoming forum for all. I know many of us have trust issues and/or have been hurt before. I hope that everyone on here feels safe and able participate. Anyone with any questions feel free to contact me. And, as I’ve said on other posts, please feel free to contact me with suggestions or improvements. I’ll look into all of them.

Take good care of yourselves.
Sarah
Just when the caterpillar thought it's world was over it turned into a butterfly.....

I am not a doctor or other medical professional. If you are in need of medical care please contact emergency services or go to the nearest emergency room.
Carolyn63

Post by Carolyn63 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:59 pm

Don't know what took me so long getting here
Clinically depressed agoraphobic with OCD. Looked into an online 12 step program and it has made me feel hopeless. The members who post are extremely high functioning. Also I have no Higher Power
My psych wants to have a virtual appointment next Tuesday. Eeeek
Not comfortable doing that
Anyone else have to do that
Feeling overwhelmed right now and obsessing over my terror of being alone
C
sbm12405
Site Admin

Post by sbm12405 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:07 pm

Hi Carolyn - It's nice to see you made it! :D :D :D

We all have different levels of functioning here. Some of us believe in a higher power. Others don't. You are welcome here. You are welcome to post what your struggles are and what your triumphs are. No one on here will judge you. They might offer suggestions but they don't judge.

Let me know if you need anything!
Sarah

Carolyn63

Post by Carolyn63 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:13 pm

Site looks great 👍👍

Thank you for doing this

C