Internal monologues

Come share your triumphs and struggles! Share your feelings and experiences...
sbm12405
Site Admin

Internal monologues

Post by sbm12405 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:06 pm

Conn asked me to share this with everyone -- discuss. I would but am having trouble forming coherent thoughts right now. LOL

https://www.boredpanda.com/not-everyone ... gn=organic
Sarah
Just when the caterpillar thought it's world was over it turned into a butterfly.....

I am not a doctor or other medical professional. If you are in need of medical care please contact emergency services or go to the nearest emergency room.
Conn

Re: Internal monologues

Post by Conn » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:34 pm

Thanks for posting it Sarah. Guess it wasn’t found as interesting to others as I found it lol.
I had never given something like this much thought. I assumed everyone in the world heard their own voice when thinking to themselves. So odd to me that some actually picture their words :shock:
Like I told you when I messaged about this ..... I wonder if there’s a connection to being able to visualize in therapy. Like I was never able to use visualization when asked in therapy to do so. I can’t picture in my mind a peaceful setting like being at the beach .... or any type of visualization like that. I can however hold some pretty intense conversations in my head and hear my own voice lol. So my voice is telling me that trying to visualize a peaceful scene actually causes me more stress because I simply can’t do it :D
I can picture faces ... or things I’ve actually been through. Certain things from childhood I can picture in my mind as if it were yesterday. But I can’t make up a scene to calm me.
So it’s amazing to me that some people actually see their words in their mind when thinking and not hear their voice. I mean it’s not like a booming voice like in the movies when God is speaking or something lol. But I definitely hear a quiet version of my voice when thinking or even writing .
Curious to hear others experiences .
Faerie

Post by Faerie » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:14 am

Hmmm! Ok Conn, I think, thinking of this could drive me dilly :roll: It's a bit of a conundrum. I don't think I hear my voice . . . . or maybe I feel my voice . . . . . or maybe my thoughts are just that . . . just thoughts. Yes I can visualize. In a previous life I went to a meditation centre once or twice a week. I can't meditate on my own when I'm stressed.
But . . . . thinking about that, is that truly visualizing. Or, is that just pulling up an old memory of something like a beach.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm going to stop here. This isn't making sense even to me. LOL. Put it down to lack of sleep. However, if this bally question keeps me awake tonight it's your fault sweetheart.
sbm12405
Site Admin

Post by sbm12405 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:57 pm

I totally have a conversation with myself nearly all the time. And I very much hear my own voice in that conversation. But those conversations also elicit pictures floating through my head. I blame the pictures on my chosen career. Being a kitchen designer I literally had to be able to see the kitchen in my head. I got to the point where I could not only see and turn "boxes" in my head but I could look at a blueprint and picture the kitchen before anything was put to paper. Toward the end of my career though I just couldn't think as clearly and it became much more difficult to picture them like that. But I did retain the ability to see "stuff" in my head.

As for visualization, my peaceful place is my grandparents farm. It's 98 acres in south east Ohio. It's funny because I read your post last night Conn and All these images of the farm came rushing through my head. Like playing on the tire swing that hung from a massive tree branch that overhung the front yard. Bats flying around the big light that was attached to a utility pole out in front of the farmhouse. The time a family of skunks came walking up the lane and my grandma ushered my sister and I inside the farm house until they left so we didn't disturb them. LOL. Tractor trailer rides through the property with my grandpa driving the tractor. Riding on the tractor with grandpa and him letting my take the steering wheel for a bit (his hands were hovering close though). Sitting at the table for breakfast. The little pot they had in a wood box that we went to the bathroom in at night. (There was no running water - only an outhouse and with venomous snakes, bears, etc. they didn't let us go outside at night.) Brushing our teeth on the back porch and spitting the toothpaste out into the yard. Getting water from the hand pump for grandma. Oh the memories go on and on. I spent many of my summers with my grandparents as a little girl. They had a house in town but we always spent a couple of weeks at the farm too. But when I visualize it as a safe spot I don't visualize all that. What I do visualize is the times that I went there with my wife. We only were there 2 or 3 times together and only in the last year or so we lived in Ohio. We would take the dogs and let them run in the fields. They had a grand time. We walk through the fields and sit in them. I took my camera and took pictures of the landscapes, the out buildings, etc. It was so peaceful. The nearest neighbors are really far away so there was no one there but the dogs and us. I really enjoyed those visits with her.

I couldn't get to sleep last night because of the conversation in my head about the farm. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sometimes I lose myself in my conversations. It drives my wife nuts because I'll miss something on the radio or in a tv show because of it. Anyway, I'm attaching a picture of the hand pump we got water out of from the farm. I printed some pictures from there in black and white and gave one each to my aunt, uncle and dad for Christmas one year. The hand pump is the one I gave to my aunt. She exclaimed how much it looked like the one on the farm. I thought she was going to cry when I told her it was the one from the farm. Oh what memories......
Attachments
DSC_1841_Farm 07_10_15.JPG
DSC_1841_Farm 07_10_15.JPG (80.62 KiB) Viewed 12 times
Sarah
Just when the caterpillar thought it's world was over it turned into a butterfly.....

I am not a doctor or other medical professional. If you are in need of medical care please contact emergency services or go to the nearest emergency room.
Conn

Post by Conn » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:28 pm

Faerie, I hope this didn’t keep you awake thinking lol. But it is an interesting thing to find out how other people’s minds work. Maybe it will help me figure out the crazy inside my own head :lol: . Or perhaps it will just make it worse because I’ll be thinking even more ;)

I can visualize memories that I’ve actually experienced when I’m thinking or something strikes a memory. I’m just not able to do visualization on command like for relaxation during panic. When I try my brain just says “listen nutty lady, we’re in panic mode and don’t have time for Pictionary in your head “ :lol: . But I am able to picture certain things in my mind when thinking .... and sometimes when falling asleep I get flashes of things and faces that I don’t even know . Then of course I push that out of my head because it’s unfamiliar and makes me think why am I seeing that in my head ! Am I creeping anyone out yet ? Ha ha . I’m not totally crazy, I promise ;)

Sarah, many of my memories are of the beach. Our family vacations were always at the beach. My dad would rent a huge beach house each year and take the entire family.....his kids, grandkids, sometimes I took a friend before I was married with kids , and he also took my aunt and her husband. It made my dad so happy to spend a couple weeks with family that way. So those are my happy memories .... and so many others also.

What I don’t understand is people who don’t have inner dialogue when thinking or writing. I’m not sure I hear my voice exactly.... maybe a quieter, calmer version of my own voice lol. But I was shocked to read that some people don’t hear their voice but actually visualize words in their heads instead. It’s definitely interesting. The brain is a fascinating monster ;)